Tuesday 25 March 2014

Evaluation - Question 1 - In what ways does my media product use, develop or challenge the conventions of real media texts?

MUSIC VIDEO 
My media product challenges the conventions of the very first music videos such as Bob Dylan and his originality with the use of the paper card with lyrics printed on them with one camera shot and not cuts. Mine uses a range of different cinematography angles and edits. Another example to show how my music video challenges the conventions of a music video; the Beatles 'I want to hold your hand' music video. The conventions of this with Bob Dylan's music video is similar due to the cinematography. It is still and doesn't consist of zooms, tracks or tilts (however the Beatles uses the use of pan sometimes).

 In comparison to my music video, I have challenged those conventions set many decades ago however I use many postmodern conventions by using pans, still cam, tracks and one use of zoom. A selection of music videos that contain these elements are The 1975 'sex' and Madonna "Vogue". 
These are two videos from most recent postmodern media texts  around a decade apart which have similar conventions, Madonnas in 1990 and The 1975 in 2013. These both use quick cuts and are quite abstract for the year they were produced. In relation to my music video, my conventions are quite similar to that set of the 1975 'sex' music video. However, this was filmed in colour and mine was in black and white. However, to show how postmodern media texts range in different use of eclectic borrowing such as Madonnas music video being in black and white and 1975's (another example from 1975) 'Antichrist' music video being black and white throughout. 

I believe that I haven't so much as developed real media texts, but reinforced the use of black and white filming. In relation to the band The 1975, they have used a black and white effect throughout a lot of their videos such as 'antichrist' and 'chocolate'. As they are a present band, I believe that this will be a style that will become popular again due to being recycled style of music videos such as Madonna's 'Vogue' video. 




By using a convention which is in most music videos, a club or house party, this will create realism for my "pre drinks" scene, this will especially apply to uses and gratification theory of Blumler & Katz (1974) creating a personal relationship and personal identity for youth in relation to collective identity, with my main product which is a postmodern feature of music videos. My abstract elements such as the slow motion scenes (in the pool), this allows time for my audience to think about what they represent and this part allows my audience to be active and decode/deconstruct the abstract areas of my main talent in their own way. 

A lot of music videos conventions repeat their shots used, and I have stuck to this particular convention with the incorporation of using quick cuts, pans, zooms, tilts and etc to make my repeated shots more interesting.




This particular part of my music video is challenging the conventions of existing music videos as it is not a usual convention to have a moving image of a portrait shot to be landscape. I didn't plan this as whilst filming I realized I was filming the wrong way, I then changed to landscape which is what the majority of my shots are. When I came to constructing my music video, I used these type of shots to experiment and see what the outcome would be. I liked it and thought it was a good way to show the same shot but in an more abstract way; And this being abstract as it is different to the expected conventions of the usual music video.




DIGIPACK




Like existing media texts, I tried to have continuity throughout my work. I wanted my main image for my front cover to be the same for my poster because in existing media text such as Lana Del Rey (see images below), she has the same image for her poster and CD cover. All media texts I have looked at including from my research, all use the same font, house colours and similar images throughout or graphics. I wanted to have 3 different images for my CD digipack so I made them all in black and white to allow this continuity to occur within four different media texts. In relation to my research (print screens from my blog below), I believe I am using the conventions similar to those seen in the Fleetwood Mac Album as the continuity between the different covers flow and I think that my product dose too. However, I could say that this is challenging as we live in a post modern era and continuity doesn't have to be a convention. I think that a CD digipack which relates to this from my research is the Foo Fighter CD in the second print screen below. The CD has a bomb on the front and an umbrella  on the first inner page. This in my opinion is a post modern approach to a media text. Relating my digipack to that, mine may be challenging the post modern conventions of not having continuity within images.

I decided to use my underwater images for the discs as I thought they looked good when placed on the template to the digipack. By doing this, I will be promoting the single's music video within the actual product itself. 


This is a small section of the research I did for a Digipack. (seen below)



From looking at the Foo Fighters CD pack. I thought I would pick random CD's from around the house and photograph them for my research to show that the conventions of different artists are the same. They all contain artist name on the front and album name even though they all look different due to the composition of the text and image/artwork used. 
All artwork/design on the CD's themselves all vary in style however the conventions tend to be again the artists name, album name and sometimes the tracks are numerically listed on the CD too. The back fo the CD's however are all very different apart from the use of the tracks numerically listed. I would like to be creative and be rather analog in my approach using artwork with possibly an image. As I am just researching at the moment, I will be thinking my plans/ideas through properly at a later date. 







POSTER


My poster was inspired by the Arctic Monkeys poster below. Unlike a lot of existing texts now, my poster has a star rating on it which is still seen in some posters today, however could be developing them or challenging the option to not use them in posters. I'm using the conventions seen in many different posters, this convention is the social networking promotion of the artist. such as Facebook, Twitter and website links. Furthermore, I believe I've developed the used of different networks/programs by also including where my target audience can purchase the album - Mine being Itunes. A convention which I didn't see much of in my research was the record label for the artist. However, I am challenging the conventions of my ancillary text by including it within my poster as I feel it is necessary.

I also challenged most media texts as they use a full portrait image. I'm developing my inspiration for Arctic Monkey's  poster as they used a landscape image and so did I. Mine and the Arctic Monkeys image to not fill the whole page, however the negative space is filled with text. I feel that this is challenging the mass/cliche approach to producing a poster however keeping in link with my main product and CD digipack. 







This image below was a little mock up to see what my image would look like in the real enviroment it would be seen in. I feel that my image works within the website I chose to place it in and would be seen on radio 1 as it is an Indie/Rock song which is not likely to be on Capital Charts which is more mass audience music rather then the niche or rock/indie. My target audience will listen to Capital as it is the mass radio station for people I'm targeting, however, as my target audience are niche, that being people who listen to rock/indie, they will most likely listen to radio one if any radio station.  This is why I have placed my image in this website. 





























No comments:

Post a Comment